one peace corps volunteer's journey into the warm heart of africa

Monday, February 28, 2011

you're not a real volunteer unless you name some babies

At least that’s what I have been thinking for this past year. I’m not sure why but I have got the notion in my head that you are not a true Peace Corps volunteer unless a Malawian does you the honor of asking you to name their baby. And with women here averaging over 5 babies in their lifetime, that’s A LOT of opportunities to name some kids. Women are constantly giving birth and yet not once in this past year have I been asked to name someone’s kid. I was honestly thinking that something was wrong with me, that maybe people here don’t really like me all that much or that I must not be a good volunteer. Plenty of other volunteers do it, but not me. It's just about the highest honor a national could give you, so I was discouraged to say the least…until now.



Not once, but twice in two days this past week have people asked me to name their baby. The first one is my amayi's (my Malawian mom) neice who just had her second baby. When I casually asked my amayi what the baby's name was, her reply was, "no, he's only 2 days old, duhhhh" (ok she didn't say "duh" but it was definitely implied). Some people here apparently wait even a month or two to name their child. And then after that she asked if I wanted to give her neice's son a name. I tried to casually say yes to hide my excitement but I don't think I did a good job.



Immediately after agreeing to name the baby I became nervous because now I am responsible for actually...naming...a...baby. That's a big responsibility. This kid will be called whatever name I choose for the rest of his life. What if I choose wrong and give him a really stupid name? So for a day and a half I thought carefully about a name that would fit this kid.



I came up with Isaiah because his family are all Christians and I love the passage in Isaiah 6 where when God asks who will be His messenger Isaiah emphatically says "here am I. Send me!". He was an emphatic servant of Christ, even though his job was not very well received by others. Also, I don't think it's possible to go wrong with a good, strong Bible name. Thankfully his family seemed to approve of his name.



meet Isaiah

my amayi with Isaiah


baby Isaiah's family + me


The day after naming Isaiah I met with my friend Foster who told me that he and his wife just had their first child, a daughter, the past week and he asked me to give her a name. With one successful baby-naming under my belt, I felt confident I could do it again. Almost immediately I had a burst of inspiration hit me and I knew there was only one name I could give her...Mia.


Mia Hamm has been my biggest role model since I was 10 years old I when I went to see the US Women's National Soccer team play for the first time. Ever since then I have been in awe of her as she is the greatest women's soccer player of all time. Not only has she scored more goals internationally than any man or woman, she also was a pioneer not only for women's soccer in the US, but for women's sports in general. Needless to say she has been my hero for a long time and I finally found a good opportunity to pay tribute to her. So I hope that Mia Kamsonga will grow up never believing that she is unable to do something simply because of her gender and that she will be unafraid and empowered as a woman, and if she turns out to be a good soccer player that's great too!


So I'm happy to finally feel like a true PC volunteer, and it's exciting to know that even long after I leave here I will have little Isaiah and Mia to remind me of my service and time here in Malawi and that's pretty awesome...

2 comments:

Shannon said...

That is pretty awesome!!! Praying for you! I'm so proud of the woman you've become! Keep up the great work!!

jess said...

Hahahahaha. I always thought you were saving Mia for a name if you had a daughter!!! I knew you would work it in there somehow!!

Congrats,
Love you.