one peace corps volunteer's journey into the warm heart of africa

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

hittin the road...

April 10 has finally come, the day where I am no longer a Peace Corps Volunteer but a RETURNED PCV and it's also the day that I fly home. I am feeling many emotions right now, but on the whole I am happy and sad and ready to go home. That mostly sums it up.

If you've been reading the news lately you might have seen what's been going on here in country. Basically, President Bingu died of cardiac arrest on Friday and now the Vice President, Joyce Banda, has taken over as president. And not wanting to go on a rant against Bingu, I will just say that I'm finally feeling hopeful about the future of Malawi. It's also been encouraging to see the peaceful transition of power and I hope that things continue to stay this way. Overall, it feels as if this country is about to take some big steps in the right direction.

Well, I don't have much else to say and I've got a plane to catch in a few hours. But I'll leave you all with a video of my neighbor kids singing a goodbye song that they made up for me. It's hard for me not to watch this video and think fondly of my time here. Man, life is good isn't it?




Thanks once again for everyone reading this and helping me to feel like my efforts to document my journey these past two years was not in vain. I hope you've enjoyed it as I certainly have enjoyed sharing my experiences, the good and even the very bad. See you all in America!

No comments: