one peace corps volunteer's journey into the warm heart of africa

Monday, April 2, 2012

packed up and ready to ship out

For the last six months I was obsessively counting down the days until I go back to good ol' America. Then in the past two weeks I tried as hard as possible to not think about the precious little time I had left in my village. Time just slips by doesn't it? Well anyway I am all moved out of Kakunga village and to be honest I'm having a hard time right now just thinking about the fact I won't be going back there again, at least not in the same capacity. My home, my dear friends, my Amayi, my cats and dog, projects, everything. But we go into the Peace Corps knowing it's a two year deal then we move on and let the community pick up from where we left them, which was hopefully better off than when we started. The whole purpose of development is that we should be putting ourselves out of a job, we go in there and do our work and then let them figure the rest out. It's still tough though as we invest so much of our time, energy, and our heart into our job.

Anyway, I'm currently in Lilongwe trying frantically to finish all the mounds of paperwork, do interviews, and get all my medical issues resolved. I'll be flying outta here next Tuesday and I'll reach Philly the next day. So while you are all waiting in desperate anticipation for my return home, why don't you distract yourself with some more pictures of my last couple of months?..

Putse fly larvae I pulled out of my leg. My face doesn't even begin to express my disgust...


Yep, that thing was making his home inside my body for at least a week (unknowingly I swear)



One last bike ride



Jimmy and Daniel in front of their demo medicinal garden, something I think I'm most proud of to be involved with during my service. Watch out for them, they'll be selling their products in America veryyy soon

 
Wake up to make coffee and I find 6 puppies stuffed into my mud stove


Day before leaving Kakunga and I see this over my neighbor's house. Nice reminder that life's beautiful in spite of my heavy heart...



Daniel proudly showing my mom his assortment of medicinal products





Amayi and the other neighbors showing me up on the dancefloor...


Fellow PCVs Christi and Alysia teaching the support group about permaculture


Some of the women listening to Alysia talk about composting, intercropping, guilds, natural pesticides, etc.


Mom and I in front of the Kamera Clinic during the opening ceremony. What a special day.


Norman Carr Cottage on Monkey Bay. An awesome way to end an even better week with my mom...



I can't wait to see you all very very soooooooon! Much love from Malawi...

No comments: