one peace corps volunteer's journey into the warm heart of africa

Sunday, December 6, 2009

here comes the anxiety

It has been five days since I found out that I will be going to Malawi. The excitement over it all is still definitely there, however the nervousness and anxiety has hit me quite hard. I keep asking myself if I am really one of those people who can not only survive, but thrive and be effective in an environment completely foreign to me for two whole years...yikes. I mean, I'd like to think I am strong enough, but one never knows until placed in that situation.

So, that's what has been on my mind these past few days. Don't get me wrong, I am over the moon right now about being able to live out a dream I have had for the past year. But still...

2 comments:

janine said...

Katy, I am so happy for you and so proud of you! No doubt you will have moments of fear and frustration, but you ARE a strong person and I know you will do very well! My thoughts, prayers, and best wishes go out to you with much love! Can't wait to read of your many adventures!

Karin said...

Hey Katy - I am sure you are going to go through any number of emotions between now and the end of February - I am so excited for you and appreciate your listening last night while I vented. Into the great unknown!