one peace corps volunteer's journey into the warm heart of africa

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

to the Warm Heart of Africa

Today it finally arrived - my invitation to... Malawi. No, not Maui. And yes, the place where Madonna adopted a baby. Until this afternoon, that was all I pretty much knew about the country.

It's so hard to describe how I felt opening the letter. I had a list of countries in my head where I thought they would send me and Malawi was definitely not a place I expected them to send me. I'm not really sure why.

But it's finally here. IT. The invitation. Crazy to think that I've waited over a year for a big envelope to arrive at my door. I will be leaving February 24 and my job title is "Community Natural Resource Management/Forestry and Parks Extension" volunteer. That's a mouthful. And it certainly didn't sound at first like anything to do with business advising, but after reading about the program in Malawi and the Environment/Natural Resource program, I believe that I might even have the opportunity to mix my desire for business/entrepreneurship and my passion for animals!

So excited beyond words right now!

No comments: